Saturday 25 April 2015

Sew It - Tooth Monster Pocket Pillow


My youngest is 5 and a half now, so the tooth fairy will be visiting him soon. My Aunt used to make and sell tooth fairy pillows when I was young and I loved the idea. 

I've looked around at different ideas and patterns and found that most seem to be aimed at girls, or are giant teeth which don't really appeal to me. 

My pillow is a hybrid of a few different designs I've seen, combined with what materials I had to hand today (I rarely plan ahead!) and what wouldn't need a pattern.

For my tooth monster pocket pillow, I cut 2 squares of green felt which were about 10.5cm. I cut 2 strips of green felt the same width to the height I wanted the pocket to be; roughly 5cm.


Then, from white felt I cut 4 triangles for the teeth and 2 circles for the eyes.


I stitched two triangles together using a simple running stitch around the edges, and repeated this to make the two teeth. Stitching two pieces together makes them stronger and hopefully will prevent them from coming apart and losing their shape over time. 

Once both were stitched, I pinned them to one long side of one piece of the pocket.


Then, I pinned the second piece of the pocket on top.


Using white cotton, I blanket stitched along the top edge, joining the two pieces together and securing the teeth in place. When I reached each tooth, I switched to a tight back stitch, and then went back to whip stitch the edges. Again, using two pieces of felt stitched together for the pocket gives it a more solid structure that should stand up will to little hands rummaging inside. 


Next, I pinned the white felt eyes in place on one of the large squares and whip-stitched them securely in place. I cut small circles of blue felt and stitched them onto the white eyes.


I cut a 20cm length of ribbon, and secured it to the back of the same square of felt as a hanging loop.


Now for the final assembly. I put the two large pieces of felt together, with the eyes on top, then the pocket piece lined up on top of these. I pinned them together, and blanket stitched around the edges. When there was around an inch left to be stitched, I filled the pillow with toy stuffing.


Once it was filled I finished the blanket stitching. 


There he is, ready for Charlie to pop a tooth in. Then he can hang him on his door handle, or his bed post, for the tooth fairy to collect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment