Tuesday 5 May 2015

Sew It - Bothy's Cut Through Rocket Cross Stitch

Over a year ago my youngest son asked me to sew him a cross stitch picture for his bedroom. He's seen me sew many for other people and wanted one of his own. I wanted one that would appeal to him now, and as he grew up. The cut through rocket ship from Bothy definitely fits the bill!


This is a big project. It's worked on 16 count navy blue aida which can be hard on your eyes, you need good light. There are 9 A4 pages of chart, and 2 cards of pre-sorted threads. 

I managed to stitch the base fairly quickly, over 4-6 weeks. The back stitching though, that's a whole different kettle of fish. It's so intricate! There's no straight lines, no following the path of base colours, every stitch has to be mapped from the chart. Consequently, it took me a while to complete. 

I got about halfway through the back stitching, and had to take a break. I had other projects that needed prioritising, and I'd lost the love for this one. It sat for a good 6 months untouched. 

I picked it up again on Sunday. 


I had a lot of me time over the bank holiday weekend, and I hit it hard. This morning, I finished the back stitching, and added the star sequins. 

The piece is now complete and ready for framing. There's going to be another small delay on framing as I'm going to get it done professionally. I want it to be a picture my son can keep forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment